Thursday, February 14, 2008

English.

"hey jason glad 2 hear glad 2 hear ehe :D yeah my lyf is pretty peach atm..busy as usual lol but peachy..spiritual lyf is gr8..rly tryin 2 focus on the work dis wk n yes i bin doin my readings every nyt so dats gud :).... going on retreat wid da rest of da team for training n bonding etc so il b in woopwoop as far as i kno lol for da nxt few days..den str8 bak in2 work wen i get back..so plz kip me in ur prayers..coz il b doin a lot of YM stuff dis yr..not 4gtn my PDW commitments... :D i pray everything stays well wid u :D"

My Goodness! I could hardly read the above text. It just stood out like a sore, sore thumb. Thats not to say that i think the writer is uneducated or doesn't know how to spell. Clearly there are some complex words within the paragraph but abominations to the beautiful English language such as "Lyf, dis, in2 and Wid" seem to be creeping in all over the place. Ouch! One of my pet peeves is the usage of deliberately broken English. It is: pointless, cuteless and generally fails to communicate anything more but annoyance.

Come on - contractions and colloquialisms need to stop somewhere!

*Details and names changed.

1 comment:

rachel said...

oh tell me about it.

i can never uNdA$tAnD y KiDz DiS dAyZ LyK 2 tYpE LyK dAt. utterly jarring, almost impossible to comprehend and unacceptable that that language gets distorted like that. and very tiring to type in alternates too.

happy holidays.